20 QUESTIONS WITH SAVANNAH
Get to know KTI’s longest tenured employee (17 years!) and model home extraordinaire Savannah. As the design director of our Interior Merchandising studio, Savannah has designed hundreds of model homes in her time at KTI, all while being mom to 3 boys. See how she does it all with these 20 questions!
1. How did you know you wanted to be an interior designer?
When I was in middle school, I spent a summer in Scottsdale with my uncle who worked for a multifamily community developer. I went to work with him for a few days and got to do a final tour of a clubhouse with the design firm. It was such a great experience, I remember saying, “I want to do this some day!” From that point on, it was always the plan.
2. WHAT’S THE BEST THING ABOUT DESIGNING MODEL HOMES?
In school, you learn about both residential and commercial design, but I wasn’t sold specifically on either. When I started at KTI as an intern on the Interior Merchandising team, I knew it was the perfect combination for me. I love working with builders and their buyer profiles because there’s so much room for creativity without designing towards a specific taste.
3. What’s your favorite KTI model project and why?
Our Century Communities Retreat at Ridgegate Model for its unique floorplan and opportunity to use fun furnishings! From tile to furniture to accessories, this one was so fun.
4. What’s your favorite non-MODEL KTI project and why?
Probably Funk it Up by the Luxury Residential team because it has such unique spaces and memorable design elements.
5. What’s a big trend you’re seeing in models right now?
Bold wallcovering patterns and unique lighting – it’s everywhere!
6. What’s a design trend you hope never comes back?
I would say the popularity of red. Just ask my team — red is a no go for all of us!
7. Where do you look for and find inspiration in the world?
I’m still a fan of Instagram. I follow so many different designers and design firms that help me see new ideas in all different markets. I love seeing a design that sparks an idea that eventually grows into a customized KTI look!
8. as kti’s longest tenured employee, how has the firm changed since you started?
Well, for one, we’re a lot bigger than when I first started. I’ve loved being a part of a firm that continues to grow not only in size but also in style and scope. When I first started, we only had projects in Colorado and we’ve expanded into 8 additional states with the potential for more. All three studios have grown with such a great team of leaders that I love working with!
9. What’s your favorite kind of space to design?
I love designing great rooms because every floorplan is different. Furniture layouts, types of furniture, and even the use of space can vary. Some have fireplaces, or space for trim details, some do not. There’s a lot of room for creativity depending on size, layout and buyer profile.
10. What’s the best part about finishing a project?
I love walking through the homes with the Builder and hearing their feedback. It’s great to hear the positives but also how we can improve. It keeps us on our toes and encourages us to continue raising the bar.
11. how would you describe your personal design style?
I have a very minimalist design style with clean lines and neutral tones. I love gray! There are so many different shades that can make it unique to any style.
12. Tell us about your family!
I’ve been married for 17 years to my husband who offers so much support in such a demanding career. We have 3 boys that keep my ever-busy schedule even busier (in a good way!) We also have a boy dog, making our home very masculine, but it’s fun to be the only girl that everyone takes care of. 😉
13. What are you watching right now?
With a house full of boys, there are plenty of Superhero movies I’ve seen over and over again. Marvel is our favorite! I’ve learned to love them, but I’ll take a cheesy rom-com any day.
14. what’s one food you couldn’t live without?
15. Take us through your 5 to 9 after your 9 to 5.
Life after 9 to 5 isn’t too exciting. With 3 boys, it consists of homework, making dinner, showers and putting kids to bed. My down time starts at 9pm which is usually scrolling Instagram while watching Friends, The Office or Big Bang Theory.
16. Do you have a hidden talent?
I love making and decorating cakes. My favorite is a Berry Chantilly, which is one of the most requested. I also love planning parties. If I wasn’t a designer, I’d probably be a party planner.
17. What are your go-to install snacks?
Sadly.. it’s candy and popcorn, although our meals are very important to us! At breakfast, we are already planning what’s for lunch.
18. Neutral tones or bold color?
Neutral all the way!
19. What’s a hobby you hope to pick up one day?
20. If you could live anywhere else in the world, where would you live?
Probably Kentucky, with my family on their ranch. Or somewhere near the beach, of course!